Skip to main content

Night

The night crawls on bended legs and searching fingers at the foot of my bed.  I can hear it wheezing and muttering in its hollow soul.  I can smell its presence and jealousy and hate.  It reeks of cold and damp and Victorian evenings swirling in fog.  I try not to make a single noise.  Any utterance would trigger its awareness and I would be its prisoner all alone in my single bed.

I cannot see it.  This sense is deprived.  Cut off from neurons racing down my spine.  Black dilated pupils roll around scared sockets and settle on no physical thing.  Between parted lips I am aware of a sour aftertaste.  I have been kissed in my sleep by the mutant lurking in the corner and now it has had that first fatal taste there is no escape.

My hands know that in painfully close proximity a light switch aches to be flicked.  To banish the intruder beyond the walls of my bedroom and into the world to find someone else…anyone else.

But my arms are paralysed.  They refuse to move and a battle ensues between the various parts of my body, all in utter disharmony and disgust of each other. 

Only my mind is silent.  Straining to keep a psychic lock on the monster drifting inches away.  The sound of cramped toe nails dragging across my loose floorboards alerts me to the new angle of attack night has chosen to make.  A hideous gurgle of violent glee is emitted and I know my fate is imminent.  I wish I was as invisible as it.  But I know that the pale skin of my face and other unfortunate body parts lying outside the security of my duvet glow in the stale air.  I am a beacon for the night.

The sharp intake of breath from an entity preparing to jump shocks my back into action and as a cloud of hate leaps across the room at my face my hand wins its battle and swings wildly at my meagre lamp.  As my eyes focus on a future of grey skies and missions of depression light floods my tiny room and a gasp of unexpected pain and loss hits me between the eyes.  A millimetre lies between me and it.  The blink of confusion from both of us confirms it is no longer dark.  Electric bulbs have banished the fright and night has run off to lick its wounds and think up cunning plans for the future.

I shake under the duvet and start to sweat relief. 

It is 1am and I have a long time to not sleep.

– Published in Insomnia Magazine, September 2006

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Friday

This week has been hard. It seems to have just been one long downward spiral which should've meant I woke up this morning feeling beyond hope.  Especially after the 4am nightmare where I drowned and then woke up in a hot sweat. But I woke up a lot more cheerful than I have been all week.  It's freezing cold and the 2 mile walk to the office from Charing Cross was painful but I got in and have found myself smiling all day.  Smiling when a client meeting was cancelled even though I got here early to do a lot of printing for it.  Still smiling after I can't book any rooms for a few more meetings I've scheduled for my boss this afternoon.  And I'll hopefully still be smiling at 17:28 when something urgent happens as it has a habit of doing last thing on a Friday. This weekend I will be trying hard not to stress out about how many words I've written (0) or how many weeks I have left until the film from hell is to be pitched again (38) or when it has to be compl...

Starting Fresh

It's been a while. And I definitely feel rusty. But hopefully it won't take long for my brain to catch up with my fingers and type something more interesting than the weekly shopping list for Ocado. Or Lidl depending on how much money is in the bank that week. With two little boys running round calling me mummy (artistic license at work here ~ my youngest is 7 months and not running or calling me anything) life has certainly changed from when I last wrote. But after 5 years of almost constant change I suddenly find myself back sitting in the same spot at work where I always used to sit doing the same tasks I always did just as though the last few years never actually happened. Except they definitely did. I have the scars to prove it and also as soon as I get home I don't throw myself on the sofa and exclaim dramatically that I'm so glad the week is over and isn't it wonderful to have nothing to do. I run upstairs to give lots of hugs and cuddles ...

Beat Sheets

Yesterday I sat at my Grandma's kitchen table for five hours.  Out of those that time, one hour was spent staring out of her back door at squirrels and wood pigeons in the garden.  Another thirty minutes was spent with the neighbour's cat, Teddy, who decided to investigate the kitchen and my legs and the very warm boiler I was working next to. In the remaining three and a half hours I managed to write about seven pages which translates to roughly seven minutes on screen. That takes me to seventeen pages total and I have to hand in one hundred and ten pages by June.  I ideally want to have completed a first draft by March (yeah right) and then I'd have a few months to edit and wrestle with it. At the moment I'm preoccupied with several beats I need to try and hit or at least aim for in terms of Act I, Act II, Mid point, Act III, climax and a resolution (or not if I want to puzzle an audience). I've got my story laid out and I'm happy with the structure but ...